Billy Joel (Allentown My Access Writing Assignment)
General Requirements: (Specifics will be gone over in class)
1. Write a 5 paragraph essay comparing the city of Fairfield (or your own community) with the metaphor of Allentown. NOT specifically items in the song but the overall metaphor.
A. Introduction: General discussion about the changing life of cities…nothing specific about Fairfield, Allentown, or the song.
B. Thesis: Select one side of the argument: Fairfield IS similar to the Allentown metaphor or Fairfield is not like the Allentown metaphor. This statement is the last sentence of your introduction.
C. First Body Paragraph: Explanation one supporting your thesis…..ONLY ONE POINT CAN BE MADE WITH 3-4 SUPPORTING SENTENCES.
D. Second Body Paragraph: Explanation two supporting your thesis…..ONLY ONE POINT CAN BE MADE WITH 3-4 SUPPORTING SENTENCES.
E. Third Body Paragraph: Counter argument: Select the other sides “best” argument against your point, state it in the paragraph and then explain why it is not a valid point/argument.
F. Conclusion: General summary of your thesis…do not make any arguments, simply generic metaphor reference and summary of thesis.
1. Read the My Access Prompt for the Allentown assignment. Print off the prompt.
2. Locate the lyrics and print off a copy. Read them twice….sing them once!
3. Read the internet interview with Billy Joel. Print off the transcript. (Billy Joel Interview..Web)
3B. Take a minimum of 1 page of notes from 3 sources about the meaning of Allentown….
4. Using the Venn Diagram (print off), label one circle Fairfield (or your community) and the other circle Allentown…..Put unique characteristics in the non overlapping and the similarities in the overlapping. About 30 (10 minimum for each part of the venn diagram.
5. Each of the following will be on a separate sheet of paper clearly labeled with all pertinent information: Name/Date/Assignment/Class/Teacher/Title of Assignment
a. Outline your paper…YOu will select a thesis….2 major arguments……and a counter…..and put into a neat outline. I. Introduction II. Argument 1 III. Argument 2 IV. Counter Argument V. Conclusion
b. Rough Draft….1.5 pages hand written (minimum)…You will have an ADULT outside of the school proofread your paper and write down changes that need to be made and sign their name. Remember to have the note written by the parents in its entirety.
c. MyAccess entry….type into myaccess….MAKE ALL CHANGES THAT “MYEDITOR” TELLS YOU TO MAKE. Print off final copy and bring to class to turn in at beginning of the period. Write your overall holistic writing score on your printed off essay that you will turn in.
d. You will need a title page for the hardcopy you turn in.
Grading will be based largely on following the exact parameters of the assignment and the class explanation of criteria.
You will turn in your entire packet in order on the date due, beginning of class.
Billy Joel Rubric For Grading